GLUTEN FREE VALENTINE CUPCAKES WITH A LITTLE XOXO
SHOW ME HOW...
Click to watch this easy step-by-step video!
WALK ME THROUGH IT...
MAKING THE CUPCAKES
Then, beat on medium speed for 2 or 3 minutes. Batter will be thin…don’t worry! You can pour your batter into a tall measuring cup for easy pouring if you like, but this is not necessary.
Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and place into oven immediately (I use a measuring cup to scoop 1/4 cup of batter into the liners. This works out perfectly for 12 cupcakes). Bake for about 18 minutes or just until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
Remove cupcakes carefully…they will be hot and soft. Let cool completely before frosting.
MAKING THE CHOCOLATE DECORATIONS
Set aside 1/4 of the chips in a separate bowl to use later. Microwave the remaining chips at 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir the chips. They won't be ready yet, but it's good to go slowly. We only want to melt the chocolate about 80% of the way.
Microwave again at 50% power for 30 seconds more. Stir.
Continue melting chocolate in 30-second increments until the chocolate starts to melt. Then switch to 15-second increments. The chocolate in the picture above is starting to melt. Switch to 15-second increments now.
Microwave and stir. This chocolate is 80% melted with chunks of chips remaining. Perfect. Remember, we don't want to melt the chocolate all the way.
Pour in the chips that were set aside.
Stir vigorously. The new chips and the stirring action will help to quickly cool down the chocolate and re-temper it. If your chocolate doesn't temper correctly, the chocolate decorations will not set well, and will melt easily. Continue stirring until chocolate is perfectly smooth.
Cover and set in refrigerator. When decorations are set, use spatula to loosen from baking sheet. To avoid melting, handle as little as possible when placing onto your cupcakes.
MAKING THE TWO-TONE FROSTING
Mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated.
Increase speed and mix until fluffy. If needed, add milk to thin the frosting, one teaspoon at a time, mixing after each addition, until desired consistency is reached. To thicken the frosting, add a little bit more confectioner’s sugar.
Press out a little frosting to prepare bag.
FROSTING THE CUPCAKES
Holding nozzle vertically, press on bag from the twisted end and start to swirl frosting around the cupcake's outer edge.
When one frosting circle is complete, continue around and around, reducing the size of the circle as you go, until you reach the top. It should take about 3 circles to complete the frosting.
PUTTING THEM ALL TOGETHER
YAY...TIME TO EAT!
A sweet treat with an even sweeter message!!
THE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
1/2 cup white rice flour (2.4 oz.)
1/4 cup potato starch (1.3 oz.)
1/4 cup tapioca flour (1.0 oz.)
1/2 cup cocoa powder (1.4 oz.)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
LET’S GET STARTED:
Tip: These cupcakes work best with piped-on frosting as you see in this recipe. If you are spreading on frosting then make sure that the frosting is soft.
PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE:
THE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
1 cup butter
4 cups confectioner’s sugar (more or less, depending on desired consistency)
2 tsp. vanilla
A few tsp. milk (as needed for correct consistency)
Gluten Free food coloring
decorating tip #2D
LET’S GET STARTED:
PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE...
THE CHOCOLATE DECORATIONS
3/4 cup chocolate chips
pastry bag or parchment triangles
#3 piping tip
1. Set aside 1/4 of the chips to use later.
2. Microwave the remaining chips at 50% power for 30 seconds.
3. Stir the chips. They won't be ready yet, but it's good to go slowly. We only want to melt the chocolate about 80% of the way.
4. Microwave again at 50% power for 30 seconds more.
5. Stir. Continue melting chocolate in 30-second increments until the chocolate starts to melt. Then switch to 15 second increments.
6. Continue the pattern of heating/stirring until the chocolate is 80% melted and you have chunks of chocolate remaining. Don't melt the chocolate all the way!
7. Once chocolate is melted 80%, pour in chips that were set aside.
8. Stir vigorously. The new chips and the stirring action will help to quickly cool down the chocolate and re-temper it. If your chocolate doesn't temper correctly, the chocolate decorations will not set well, and will melt easily.
9. Continue stirring until chocolate is perfectly smooth.
10. Spoon chocolate into pastry bag. Fold shut. Test chocolate to make sure it comes out smoothly.
11. Pipe decorations onto the waxed paper.
12. Cover and set in refrigerator.
13. When decorations are set, use spatula to gently loosen from baking sheet.
14. To avoid melting, handle as little as possible when placing onto your cupcakes.
PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE:
Tip: Please follow all directions exactly!! If you skip steps or swap ingredients then you may or may not like the end result :)
WANT TO LEAVE A COMMENT?
Please leave all comments in the “Comments” section of the YouTube video. Thank you!
· *** I AM NOT A NUTRITIONIST OR MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL***
THE INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE IS NOT INTENDED TO SUBSTITUTE FOR MEDICAL TREATMENT OR ADVICE.
PLEASE READ INGREDIENTS ON THIS WEBSITE AND ON PACKAGES, AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE SAFE FOR YOU
PRIOR TO USING THEM IN YOUR RECIPES. WHEN IN DOUBT, CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST.***